St. Anne's invites your family to join in making service and outreach an integral part of your home life, as well as our school life. From January 4 to January 15, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, we will celebrate "12 Days of Caring."
Our Service Learning Committee has created a "calendar" of ideas for selfless acts of compassion and kindness, big and small (see below for ideas, or click here for a print out). You do not need to do all of them; we hope that you will pick several that are meaningful to your family.
At the end of the 12 Days of Caring, please share your stories about your family's experience! Send pictures and anecdotes to Chaplain Hanna, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please join us for the Peace and Justice Chapel in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. on Thursday, January 18th, 9:45 am! We will share the stories then.
Suggestions for St. Anne's 12 Days of Caring (feel free to add your own!)
From the list below, pick activities that call to your family. Place the number on the day in the calendar your family would like to do the activity.
1. Write a thank you note to a veteran for their service.
3. Make birthday cards for someone in a homeless shelter. Bring cards to school, and give them to Chaplain Hanna.
4. Gather old sheets and towels; deliver them to your local animal shelter.
5. Get together a bag of clothes for the next clothing drive. (Please wait to bring clothes in until collection dates are announced in the newsletter).
6. Put together a box of gently used children's books for the 2nd Grade Book Store. (Please wait to bring books in until collection dates are announced in the newsletter).
7. Do a kind deed for a neighbor - for example, bring their garbage cans up for them, offer to walk their dog, or shovel their walkway.
8. Purchase a bag of new socks for the 3rd/8th grade sock drive in February.
9. Give a kind word to a customer service representative.
10. Collect pop tabs for the Ronald McDonald House and bring to the Preschool Classroom.
11. Leave a thank-you note for your mail carrier or your waste management professional.
12. Surprise someone with a random act of kindness - for example, pay for the coffee of someone and give the cashier the discretion of who looks like they could use a lift.
13. Donate to the Seaman's Center of Wilmington. The Center is always in need of a variety of supplies, including coffee, tea, cookies, puzzles and videos/dvds. Check here to learn more.
14. Make get well cards for patients at Health South Rehabilitation Hospital or a medical care facility near or dear to you.
For more information about the 12 Days of Caring, please see the article which ran in our last newsletter before Christmas break.